Dec ’17 – Feb. '21 Artistic Director, SkyPilot Theatre, Los Angeles, CA.
∙ Responsible for Artistic Vision and Leadership of company
· Hire all creative staff
· Direct Two Plays each year
Jan ‘15 – Jan ‘18 Instructor, Acting Program, New York Film Academy, Los Angeles, CA.
· Adjunct Professor, Film Production and Acting for Film, Levels 1 and 2.
· Direct 6 to 12 student Acting Thesis films per year utilizing Union Crews.
Mar ‘12 – current Freelance Director/Producer, ATTIC Studios, Atlanta, GA
· Develop and Produce Live Theatre Plays and Film Projects for Clients and Self.
· Own and operate a boutique production house for films and theatre.
· Provide entertainment consulting services, and theatre/film workshops to clients world-wide.
· Invited to Direct/Produce New Play for National Theatre of Zimbabwe, 2015
Jan '90 – Feb ’12 Co-Founder/Producing Artistic Director, Attic Theatre Conservatory,
Inc., Los Angeles, CA
• Established and supervised a non-profit theatre organization with its own theatre venue,
professional acting company, and conservatory acting training program. Developed the
Denise Ragan Wiesenmeyer One-Act Festival which ran for over 20 years. On-going commitment to new play development has resulted in Attic productions going to Broadway (Standing On Ceremony) and international tours. Established an award-winning Youth Playwright Program for disadvantaged teenagers. Had seat on the Board of Directors. Had final responsibility in areas of fiscal and future development. Hired all key creative and management personnel.
Jun '12 – Mar ‘14 Consultant, National Institute of Allied Arts, National Drama Festival,
• Developed NIAA Theatre Teacher Training Outreach Program in Harare, Zimbabwe. Traveled to Zimbabwe in 2013 & 2014 to coordinate initial training workshops and staff development.
• Organized and Conducted Nationwide USA search for American professional consultants to
work with Zimbabwe staff.
• Adjudicated the 2012 Zimbabwe National Drama Festival judging over 10,000 youth of all
ages, and conducted Teacher Training Workshops.
Mar ’14 – Mar ’14 Guest Artist/Teacher, MADSOC Theatre, Lilongwi, Malawi
∙ Workshops on how to create one-person shows.
Jul '12 - Aug '12 Guest Lecturer, Istituto Teatrale Europeo, Rome, Italy
• Conducted Acting and Directing Workshops for professional and student theatre artists.
Sep '01 - Jun '05 Lecturer in Drama, California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA
• Adjunct Professor - Intro to Theatre, Beginning Acting and Technical Theatre Workshops
• Directed one stage production each year.
• Constantly ranked among top 10% of professors on campus by students.
Sep '04 - Jun '05 Lecturer in Drama, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
• Adjunct Professor - Introduction to Technical Theatre.
Examiner in Drama (America), International Baccalaureate Organization
Editor/Head Travel Writer, www.Tripswithjames.com
Producer, Theatre Tour of South-Eastern Africa including Zimbabwe, Malawi, and South Africa.
Co-Founder/1st President, Theatre Row-Hollywood Assoc., a professional association
representing small theatres in Hollywood, CA. started in 1993 and continuing today.
• "Most important development in local theatre during 1994." - Los Angeles Drama Critic Circle.
Southern California Academy of Arts and Sciences,
• Consultant in developing curriculum for a new high school Theatre Arts Program.
Master of Fine Arts, Theatre Management (Magna Cum Laude), California State University,
Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
Teaching Assistant (3 years)
Production Manager of the resident Professional Company, Cal Rep (3 years).
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Theatre Arts, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA
Vice-President Alpha Psi Omega
Teaching Assistant and Shop Supervisor, (2 years).
Fancy Meeting You Here, Winner Best Independent Short Film, LA IFS Festival 2019 (Director)
Mi Casa Su Casa, Awarded Critics Choice, PortFringe 2018 (Writer, Producer, Performer)
Solo Shows Invited to PortFringe, Atlanta Fringe, Hollywood Fringe, San Diego Fringe.
Panel Member, 2014 Community Project Grant Committee, Arts Council of Long Beach.
Awarded travel grant from United States Embassy in Zimbabwe to help develop teaching training program,2014.
Invited to debut one-man show, COMING TO ZIMBABWE, 2013 Harare International Festival of Arts,
Outstanding Producer, Intimate Musical Theatre, StageSceneLA.
Invited Member, Lincoln Center West Directing Lab.
Winner of 14 Drama-Logue Production Awards.
Member, LA Stage Alliance Membership Committee.
Keynote Speaker, West Coast Theatre Conference.
Winner, Hollywood Arts Council Award.
Winner, Los Angeles Drama Critics Award.
For SkyPilot Theatre conducted a 4 week workshop on how to find content, write and perform a 10 minute solo theatre/storytelling piece. Culminated in the performance of works for an audience.
Faculty, Acting Program, LA Campus - Teaching Acting for Camera, BFA and MFA level classes.
Developed and led Rural Drama Teacher Training Program in Zimbabwe. Traveling to rural schools and holding workshops to help teachers understand and develop teaching methods for their students.
Served as judge to 10,000 students over a month long period in the areas of improv, monologues, scenes, speech and poetry.